Monday, November 12, 2012

I'm a twit

Well I did it. After much trepidation and doubt I have actually set up and put some effort into my twitter account.

Trouble is I have no idea what to do with it now... I kinda get what it's for but now I have to start using it. If anyone's reading this and has any brilliant ideas as to what I'm supposed to do with my newly developed bird account feel free to chime in.

I'm challenging myself to writing. I need to start writing more and get myself in the habit of crafting words on paper... or whatever this is. So I'm going to try to write something here every day. It might kill me and I might miss a couple days here and there but I'm gonna give it a shot. It's gonna be anything from incredibly deep things to just me talking about random stuff that I've thought of during the day. If you're reading I hope you enjoy.

For today I'm going to write about something I saw today. I went and watched Perks of Being a Wallflower. First of all, very good movie. I would highly recommend it. Admittedly I haven't read the books so i don't know how it measures up in comparison to that but as an outsider I enjoyed it a lot. It made me think a lot about my experience growing up.

I was home schooled growing up and didn't attend public school until my junior year of high school. I was spared a lot of the "Nightmare" that everyone claims high school is. Though my parents did a good job at being sure I got out a lot I was kept relatively safe and at home a lot so I didn't have to fight for all that much growing up. That seems to be something that is a recurring theme in a lot of depictions of high school: the kids in school are all fighting for or against something. Sometimes it's overwhelming odds and sometimes you fail against them. But sometimes friends come together and overcome the odds and at the end they feel they've accomplished something. While I'm grateful for my experience as a home school-er and I'm proud of where it's put me now I can't help but feel sometimes I missed out on something that could have been gained from public school. That sense of camaraderie and partnership that comes from conquering something bigger than you can control and conquering it with your companions is something I wish I could have had more of as a kid.

That's all for tonight. Thanks for reading.

Have a quote for the day.

I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.

-Oscar Wilde


No comments:

Post a Comment